A Pictorial History



Steve Marsh & Stuart Allen

Copyright © 2020 All rights reserved

theyflysohigh logo

1993-94 The Neville Ovenden Football Combination

93_08_18 Luton Town v. WHU Reserves 93_08_26 Bristol Rovers v. WHU Reserves 93_08_31 WHU v. Millwall Reserves 93_09_08 Ipswich Town v. WHU Reserves 93_09_14 Crystal Palace v. WHU Reserves 93_09_21 Arsenal v. WHU Reserves 93_09_27 Chelsea v. WHU Reserves 93_10_12 WHU v. Brighton Reserves 93_10_18 Millwall v. WHU Reserves 93_10_26 WHU v. Bristol City Reserves 93_11_02 WHU v. Bristol Rovers Reserves 93_11_08 Bristol City v. WHU Reserves 93_11_15 WHU v. Norwich City Reserves 93_11_30 WHU v. Chelsea Reserves 93_12_14 WHU v. Crystal Palace Reserves

LUTON TOWN : Football Combination

Kenilworth Road

1 - 4

18 August 1993

Lodge Road

1 - 3

26th August 1993

BRISTOL ROVERS : Football Combination




West Ham United's Reserve team will kick-off their Neville Ovenden Football Combination home games at the Ford United ground. Games will not be staged at Upton Park until later in the season in order to give the newly laid playing area time to bed down. The club thanked the Ford Motor Company for their help in hosting these fixtures at their ground in Wood Lane, Rush Green.

The reserves began this season's campaign with a visit to Luton Town's Kenilworth Road ground for an afternoon kick-off.

Amongst our line-up were new signings Paul Mitchell and Keith Rowland who joined us from AFC Bournemouth earlier this month as well as Gerry Peyton the Irish international goalkeeper.

After 18 mins the Hatters converted a free-kick to open the scoring but we drew level after 32 mins when Steve Jones, our leading scorer in the Combination last season, equalised. A long ball into the penalty area found Jones who went past a couple of defenders and then drew the opposing 'keeper before slotting home the ball from an acute angle. It was a well-taken strike and unfortunately the only highlight in our teams afternoon.

Within one minute we were in arrears once again and fell further behind three minutes before the interval when former Chelsea and Southampton striker Kerry Dixon headed home.

Following the interval break, when Jerome John replaced Peyton, we again had difficulty in creating chances. Midway through the half Luton once again found the net and that was enough to enable them to run-out fairly comfortable 4-1 winners.


Manager : Paul Hilton

MILLWALL : Football Combination

The disappointing form of the opening match continued at Bristol Rovers where we fell behind in the tenth-minute.

Tony Gale's back-header fell a little short and as a Rovers forward nipped in to intercept goalkeeper Gerry Peyton was left stranded, as the shot was lobbed over his head.

It took Tony just 20 minutes to make amends. He ran in onto a Mark Robson comer from the left to head firmly into the net from six-yards.

This spurred the Hammers on and both Michael Basharn and Matt Holland were unlucky not to score. The woodwork denying Sasham; an excellent save by the goalkeeper thwarting Holland to keep the scoreline level at the interval.

Six minutes into the second-half Rovers regained the lead. Our defence failed to deal with a cross from the right which was headed in from close range.

The woodwork came to Bristol's aid again when Matthew Rush fired a good effort against a post whilst Mike Small should have perhaps done better when faced with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Rovers clinched the points with 13-minutes to go when Geny Peyton's goal-kick went straight to an opponent who lashed it into the net.

The Hammers didn't enjoy the best of luck against the Combination champions Millwall at our new 'temporary home' venue, the Ford Sports Ground.

The dry weather meant the pitch was hard but in the opening minutes Gerry Peyton made a great save from six-yards; while at the other end Alex Bunbury was unlucky with a volley from the edge of the penally area.

It was in the 20th minute that Steve Blaney broke into the Millwall box to collect a long pass and fire a left-foot volley into the far corner of the net 1-0.

It could have been two right on the interval as Matthew Rush crossed from the right. Mike Small was waiting but unfortunately lifted his shot over the bar.

The second-half opened with Rush blazing just over from the 18-yard line but it was Millwall who scored in the 55th-minute; forcing the ball over the line after it had rebounded from a post.

After that Darren Currie. and Rush, squanderd chances as the game played out to a draw.

Ford Sports Ground

1 - 1 (Blaney)

31 August 1993

IPSWICH TOWN : Football Combination

CRYSTAL PALACE : Football Combination

ARSENAL : Football Combination

CHELSEA : Football Combination

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION : Football Combination

MILLWALL : Football Combination

BRISTOL CITY : Football Combination

BRISTOL ROVERS : Football Combination

BRISTOL CITY : Football Combination

NORWICH CITY : Football Combination

CHELSEA : Football Combination

CRYSTAL PALACE : Football Combination