A Pictorial History



Steve Marsh & Stuart Allen

Copyright © 2020 All rights reserved

theyflysohigh logo

1965-66 Football League : First Division

Manager: Ron Greenwood

WEST BROMWICH ALBION : Football League First Division

The Hawthorns

0 - 3

21st August 1965

Att: 19,900












65_10_16 WHU v. Sheffield Wednesday 65_11_20 Arsenal v. WHU

Image courtesy of Richard Miller

SUNDERLAND : Football League First Division

LEEDS UNITED : Football League First Division

SUNDERLAND : Football League First Division

SHEFFIELD UNITED : Football League First Division

LIVERPOOL : Football League First Division

LEICESTER CITY : Football League First Division

LIVERPOOL : Football League First Division

BLACKBURN ROVERS : Football League First Division

BRISTOL ROVERS : Football League Cup (Second Round)

BLACKPOOL : Football League First Division

BRISTOL ROVERS : Football League Cup (Second Round Replay)

FULHAM : Football League First Division

NOTTINGHAM FOREST : Football League First Division

MANSFIELD TOWN : Football League First Division

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY : Football League First Division

NORTHAMPTON TOWN : Football League First Division

STOKE CITY : Football League First Division

ROTHERHAM UNITED : Football League Cup (Fourth Round)

BURNLEY : Football League First Division

CHELSEA : Football League First Division

GRIMSBY TOWN : Football League Cup (Fifth Round)

ARSENAL : Football League First Division

OLYMPIAKOS (Greece) : European Cup Winners Cup (First Round ~ First leg)

EVERTON : Football League First Division

OLYMPIAKOS (Greece) : European Cup Winners Cup (First Round ~ Second leg)

MANCHESTER UNITED : Football League First Division

NEWCASTLE UNITED : Football League First Division

GRIMSBY TOWN : Football League Cup (Fifth Round Replay)

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY : Football League First Division

CARDIFF CITY : Football League Cup (Semi-Final ~ 1st leg)

ASTON VILLA : Football League First Division

Abandoned 30 mintues

ASTON VILLA : Football League First Division



The largest attendance of the evening 48,626 was at Roker Park to see our "return " with Sunderland. They were kept roaring by end-to-end play which was great entertainment value, and the majority must have gone home in happy mood because the North Easterners won by the odd goal in three. The exchanges on the field were pretty even, and a review of several press reports indicates that the " neutral" commentators shared this view. It was fitting that a late goal should decide the issue, and we could perhaps consider ourselves unfortunate in that we twice struck the woodwork before the decisive counter. However, such is the "rub of the green." and there are certain to be times when we shall find ourselves in opposite circumstances. We successfully accepted a chance of scoring in the 19th minute, Geoff Hurst moving in on a bouncing ball which the opposing defence failed to master. This kept us ahead until seven minutes after the interval, when Charlie Hurley's 35-yard drive struck one of his colleagues in our goalmouth and rebounded to George Mulhall - who promptly banged it home. The final counter was a spectacular one, for as Mike Hellawell went down the right Jimmy McNab made a lot of ground in the middle and dived to connect with his winger's centre - netting with an unstoppable header to round off a fine performance.



McLaughlan, Irwin, Ashurst, Harvey, Hurley, Baxter, Hellawell, Herd, O'Hare, McNab, Mulhall.












65_08_21 WBA v. WHU 65_08_23 WHU v. Sunderland

A 3-0 victory in the opening game of the season is a good start in any competition, and West Bromwich Albion had every reason to be satisfied with their performance at The Hawthorns. Indeed, a continuance should bring an immediate "gate" increase on the 19,900 who were at this game. The form of our opponents suggests that they may go far in putting Midlands' First Division soccer " back on the map," and they appear to have recovered from their unsuccessful summer venture in the second group of the American International Soccer League. Albion had an early inspiration through a 90-second goal netted by Clive Clark, and Jeff Astle's 35th-minute counter put them in a commanding position at the interval. The Hammers got more into the game after the resumption, and were unlucky not to at least reduce the arrears; however, it was Clark who set the seal on a " man-of-the-match " performance with a 35-yard solo run for his second success a couple of minutes from time.

Went Bromwich Albion:

Potter, Cram, Williams, Lovett, Jones. Fraser, Foggo, Astle, Kaye, Hope, Clark.

A brilliant save by Sandy McLaughlan five minutes from time deprived us of possible victory here on Monday evening, and the fair sprinkling of Sunderland supporters among the 34,700 spectators must have had some anxious moments in the remaining period before the final whistle. However, the rearguard adequately marshalled by skipper Charlie Hurley held the Hammers at bay to bring the North Easterners a hard-earned point. It would be fair to claim that we had an edge territorially, but we must pay compliment to a team which obviously has a lot of potential and appears likely to end in a more satisfactory position than last season. Tactically they played it the right way and provided their fair share to a game which was entertaining for the whole 90 minutes. We must, of course, also congratulate Harry Redknapp on making his League debut; at the age of 18 a player has plenty ahead of him, and there is every indication that he is another who will join a long and honourable list of predecessors as a Hammers' " local product."

HARRY REDKNAPP makes his hammers debut against Sunderland at Upton Park

65_08_28 WHU v. Leeds United

There was a lot of satisfaction in collecting full spoils at Upton Park. Prior to the kick-off we would have been reasonably happy to settle for a draw, as we were facing a team that had not conceded a goal in winning its first two games and which on paper appeared to be in with quite a chance against a side which bad once again to undergo enforced changes. The absence of Bobby Collins from the Leeds United line-up helped to restore the apparent balance, but when the visitors took a 13th-minute lead seconds after we had a " near miss " at their end we again faced an uphill task. Nevertheless, perseverance brought its reward, and our equaliser just on half-time put us back into the reckoning. Unfortunately some of the Leeds' disappointment on the field seemed to have transmitted itself to a few of their fans on the terraces, and the police had the unpleasant task of separating the recalcitrants on the North Bank during the interval. A couple " got their names taken," and those who remained saw the same thing happen to one participant in the " main contest." The latter " booking" was considered harsh by one commentator, but it is only right to point out that prior to this the referee had already had words with that player as well as three of his team-mates. These diversions and the departure of Jack Burkett with a pulled muscle added five minutes of " injury time " to the regulation period of the second half, and there was some " nail biting " among our supporters before the whistle blew for the last time to herald a Hammers' success that was earned in the face of adversity. Geoff Hurst's decider seven minutes from the end of " correct time " was a model of tenacity, and we congratulated an XI for rather "XII" which had won through. It was by no means a great game, but one could hardly be surprised that in the circumstances the overall standard should fall below what we expected.

65_09_01 Sunderland v. WHU 65_12_04 Manchester United v. WHU

Rule Change:

Goalkeeper throwing the ball at an opponent punishable by a penalty-kick instead of, as hitherto, an indirect free-kick.


The new season commenced with Sealey, Byrne and Dear all injured. A 3–0 defeat at West Bromwich Albion on the opening day paved the way for some dismal early performances as the team conceded five goals in three successive games against Sheffield United, Liverpool and Leicester City. By mid-October, after another 5–0 defeat at Nottingham Forest, the Hammers were third from bottom.

There was some joy in the League Cup as West Ham disposed of Bristol Rovers, Mansfield and Rotherham United, while the European journey in defence of the Cup Winners’ Cup began with West Ham defeating Olympiakos 6–2 on aggregate. Results improved with league victories against Everton (3–0) and Newcastle (4–3), Geoff Hurst scoring a hat-trick in the latter game. The League Cup saw Grimsby Town knocked out and this brought a semi-final clash with Cardiff City. The Bluebirds were no match for the marauding Hammers, who won 10–3 over two legs. Oldham Athletic were beaten in the FA Cup but in the fourth round, following a replay, Blackburn Rovers triumphed 4–1.

March was a busy month: in the league Aston Villa and Blackburn suffered four-goal defeats while in Europe the Hammers beat Magdeburg 2–1 on aggregate. The League Cup final with West Bromwich Albion, a two-legged affair back then, saw West Ham gain a 2–1 advantage in the first leg at Upton Park, but the Midlands side recovered to win 4–1 in the second leg to lift the cup.

In the Cup Winners’ Cup the German side Borussia Dortmund proved to be tough opposition as they won both legs of the semi-final and went through on a 5–2 aggregate. To round off the season to the delight of the home support, Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United were all beaten at Upton Park to give a twelfth place finish. It had been a hectic campaign, as in addition to the 42 league games there had been an extra 20 cup ties.

In July 1966 England won the World Cup and all West Ham supporters were proud that Bobby Moore captained the side, Geoff Hurst scored a hat-trick and the other goal came from Martin Peters in the 4–2 victory against West Germany.