A Pictorial History



Steve Marsh & Stuart Allen

Copyright © 2019 All rights reserved

theyflysohigh logo

1929-30 Football League : First Division

BLACKBURN ROVERS : Football League First Division

West Ham United displayed excellent form in their opening League- match with the Rovers at Blackburn, and but for some defensive weakness towards the end of the game they would have extracted the full points from the home team instead of drawing at three goals each. During three parts of the game they played such good football that with about 20 minutes left, they led by three goals to one, but the Rovers rallied fiercely, and the Hammers' defenders wavered, allowing the home team to draw level. Nevertheless, it was an excellent performance to gain a point on a ground where they have invariably been defeated

The first half hour's play produced two goals, both scored by the left backs against their own sides in endeavouring to clear centres. Earl, of West Ham, was the first to do it, and the game was 20 minutes old when, in trying to kick tha ball away, he turned a centre from Turner past Hufton. It was a piece of good fortune for Blackburn, but eight minutes later West Ham got on equal terms in a similar way, for Jones, of Blackburn, put the ball past his own goalkeeper in attempting to keep out a centre from Ruffell. During the time that elapsud between the two goals West Ham had done a lot of pressing, as the result of excellent play between the forwards and half-backs, and on one occasion Crawford was fortunate to get rid of a short hard shot from Ball. When ten minutes before the interval Watson put West Ham in front, they were deserving of their success, for they had been a better combination. From that time until more than half way through the second half the Rovers looked a wll beaten team. The Hammers' attack, splendidly supported by the halves, was constantly on the move with quick and accurate passing, which resulted in a third goal by Ball eight minutes after the interval. Blackburn appeared so well beaten that their rally towards the end was all the more surprising. McLean netted with a swift low shot, and then Gilhespy followed with a quick drive into the net shortly afterwards.

BIRMINGHAM CITY : Football League First Division

West Ham, although beaten by Birmingham 4-2 at St. Andrew's, played excellent football and provided the home side with a keen struggle. The football throughout was of high quality, and West Ham held their own for three parts of the game. Bradford headed a fine goal for Birmingham ten minutes from the commencement, but five minutes later West Ham drew level, when a quick passing movement caught the home defence napping, and Watson shot the ball over the goalkeeper's head. Bradford, however, restored the lead for Birmingham after Hufton had repelled a shot from Bond, but once again Watson brought the scores level, when he beat the defence and scored almost from the goal line. Bradford, who was in good form for Birmingham, scored a third goal for them, and Barkas converted a penalty kick given against Wade to give the home side the victory in a capital game

Manager: Syd King

WHU v. Derby County - Jim Barrett

DERBY COUNTY : Football League First Division

Jim Barrett making an interception